Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

What do I need to bring with me?
You will need two forms of ID to obtain or renew a driver licence.

Why do I need two forms of ID?
Primary ID proves who you are, for example a current or recently expired drivers licence, an original copy of your full birth certificate, a current or recently expired passport or a firearms licence.

Secondary ID proves your address, for example a bank statement (issued within the last 12 months), a telephone, gas or electricity account (issued within the last 6 months), or another form of identitiy within the last 12 months which shows your name and address.

Can I use a certified copy?
No. All forms of ID must be original documents.

What can I book at the AA Centre in Te Kuiti?
All practical tests can be booked at our site, however the full practical car test and practical motorcyclce test cannot be performed in Te Kuiti. The closest location is Te Awamutu.

When do I need a medical certificate?
Everyone applying or renewing a class 2,3,4,5 licence (heavy vehicle) will need to present a medical certificate, if one has not been presented in the last five years, and this needs to be less than 60 days old. You will also need to present a medical certificate if you have a medical condition that may affect your ability to drive.

Can I book over the phone?
No. We need you to come in person with your two forms of ID. You need to fill in an application form, have your photo taken and eye sight checked.

What do I need to do for my practical driving test?
On the day of the test you must make sure that your vehicle has a current warrant of fitness and registration and that all lights/indicators are working. Applicants sitting the restricted practical must make sure that they have their L plates displayed.

Do I need to have an eye sight check?
Everyone applying or renewing any licence class must pass an eye sight check (unless a medical certificate or eye sight certificate is provided). If you fail the eye sight check you will need to have a GP or optometrist perform an eye sight check for you. They will provide you with an eye sight certificate, which you will then need to bring in to us.

International Driver Licence Conversion
For information regarding this please contact our team.