Draft Rule Summary

We have been considering what kind of rules are needed to protect SNAs. The ideas we have had are summarised below so you can see the type of issues that we think need to be addressed. You can provide feedback at the end of this section:

How should we manage "business as usual" activities?

We think that we should permit trimming, pruning or removal of indigenous vegetation in limited circumstances where it is practical and pragmatic. These situations might be:

  • The need to remove dead or damaged vegetation where there is a risk to human life.
  • To maintain or construct perimeter fencing for stock exclusion (up to 5000m2).
  • For existing road and track maintenance on or within 2 m of the roads, tracks or water intake structures.
  • For outdoor education activities, zip lines, rock climbing, abseiling or caving activities (up to 500 m²)
  • For buildings in local SNAs where the building is no larger than 150 m² for the purpose of a tourism activity, visitor accommodation or honey production (up to 500 m²).
  • For dwellings, papakaainga units or Marae in local SNAs where the building is no larger than 350 m² (up to 500 m²).
  • For public cycling and walking tracks, public playgrounds and toilets (up to 500 m²).
  • For the removal of manuka or kanuka (up to 500 m²).
  • For pest management activities.
  • For conservation activities (up to 5000m2).
  • Indigenous vegetation removal undertaken on reserves by DOC or in accordance with covenants or mechanisms such as QEII, Nga Whenua Rahui or Heritage Protection Orders. 
  • For Maori cultural and customary uses or for scientific purposes.

What about SNAs in urban areas?

We may need some specific rules to manage SNAs in the urban areas. These might be:

  • Within the urban zones, trimming, pruning or removal of indigenous vegetation within 2 m of an existing road, driveway or fenceline is permitted.
  • Within the urban zones, trimming, pruning or thinning of indigenous vegetation (up to 100 m²) is permitted to manage fire risk.

How should we manage other activities?

We think that some activities will need to apply for a resource consent. These are the activities we believe should be managed through a consent process in SNAs:

  • Undertaking sustainable harvesting of trees where there is a sustainable forest management plan or permit under the Forest Act 1949 - Restricted discretionary activity
  • Removing vegetation for any other purpose –Discretionary in a local SNA or a non-complying activity.
  • Removing vegetation for plantation forestry – Discretionary activity.

What do you think?

Do we have these draft rules about right? You can provide feedback to us using this email